1 large onion, finely chopped
5 small (or 3 large) potatoes, peeled and diced
12 oz (1 packet) of corn
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon paprika powder
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon carom seeds (Ajwain)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 ½ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup gram flour
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Salt, to taste
Oil, to deep fry
- Boil potatoes for 10-15 minutes in salted water until the potato pieces are fork tender. Then drain them.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl.
- Mash up potatoes and let them cool for a few minutes until they are room temperature or slightly warmer.
- Stir in onions, corn, turmeric powder, paprika powder, cumin seeds, carom seeds, baking soda, egg and vinegar; season with salt, to taste. Mix well.
- Add the all-purpose flour. Mix well.
- Add the gram flour. Mix well.
- Let it sit for few minutes.
- When the mixture is workable, form the mixture into balls (or any shape you want).
- Heat vegetable oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the balls to the skillet, and cook until evenly golden and crispy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Serve hot with your favourite dip (or ketchup)